Sunday, August 30th 2009
Happy, honored, lucky, loved, important, serious role, care giver, a second parent. So many thoughts enter my mind when thinking about the possibility of this role that we will take if the parents are serious about it once my husband and I sit down with them and talk it over.
Of course when asking my husband when I first told him that we were asked there was not a moment's hesitation. Our initial answer is, "YES!", but we want to make sure that everything is written out and this is taken seriously. If they really want us to help raise the children if something were to happen to them and they pass away, then I feel that this should be included in some type of will or letter that is notarized.
I feel this way because this is what I would want once the time comes when my DH and I have children. Of course, once apon a time, I asked a girl who was my best friend at the time, half drunk at new years and then later that next month if she would be a Godmommy to DH and my future children. She said, "yes" and then our friendship crumbled because of gaping differences and problems that could not be repaired. I feel now that I moved to quickly to ask such a thing and in the future if DH and I want a couple to have the role as Godparents that we will take our time and act more wisely when we make a decision.
DH and I have to wait at least a week to have a sit down with the parents and talk everything over with them because labor day weekend they will be moving into their new house. I probably will be babysitting that day and taking care of my two potential godchildren.
I still am in awe over being asked because I never saw this question coming a mile away. I am so happy and honored that DH and I would ever be thought of so highly that we may have this role given to us. Soon I may not just be a cousin to these two wonderful little boys but a Godmommy too. I feel like things are looking up for me, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
I could be a Godmommy...
So what exactly defines a Godparent anyway? Wikipedia says, "A godparent, in many denominations of Christianity, is someone who sponsors a child's baptism. Judaism has this equivalent in the circumcision ceremony. A male godparent is a godfather, and a female godparent is a godmother. The child is a godchild (godson, goddaughter)."
"Traditionally, godparents were informally responsible for ensuring the child's religious education was carried out, and for caring for the child should they be orphaned. Today, the word "godparent" might not have explicitly religious overtones. The modern view of a godparent tends to be an individual chosen by the parents to take an interest in the child's upbringing and personal development. However, godparent is not a legal position, and should the parents seriously intend the godparents to act as foster parents in case of their death, this must be legally specified through the usual means (such as a will)."
So above lists a good description of what a Godparent is and what it seems to mean these days. On Friday after babysitting my cousin I was asked a question that I honestly did not see coming my way. "Will you and Steve (my husband) be Godparents.....?" Oh my goodness I was so surprised and told her that we would be honored and would talk to DH about it.
I believe that if they are serious about it and so are we, that we all should sit down and really talk this over. This isn't just some 'title' to me, it means a lot. If something really were to happen to them I want it to be written for legal reasons, like in a will, that we will raise the children. This is because this is how I feel about the roll of Godparents. They raise your children if something happens to you, like in the event of death.
I feel so honored and touched that DH and I would ever be asked to be Godparents. But I don't want to hold onto the idea to closely till it is in writing and then take that form to a notoriety.
Even if I never give birth to a child I may be a Godmommy and the idea of it makes me feel so happy inside. I love these two children so much and have been lucky to be able to be a part of both of their lives since the youngest was born and the oldest was a year old. The oldest boy is six years old now and in school, he is such a wonderful little man. The youngest is almost three years old and born the day before DH and my wedding anniversary. Both of these boys always warm my heart but there is something about the youngest that gets to me. Perhaps it is the way he says, "I love you Evelyn." Or the way he hugs me or puts his arms around me when he is sleepy and I carry him to his room to take a nap. Or the way he always asks me if he can come home with me and go to my house and play. Or maybe it is just the fact that I have been able to be a part of his life since he was one month old. What ever the reason, I feel blessed to even be considered to be their Godmother. These two boys are my world and the reason why DH and I keep ttc and hope to one day have our own children.
No comments:
Post a Comment