Saturday, August 29th 2009
I have relaxed and slept a lot since being home. DH is doing a wonderful job taking care of me and making sure that I don't do to much while my back is healing. The needle used to inject the dye in my back was not a large needle but large enough that I am resting while it heals.
The Myelogram part of it was very interesting. The medicine used to numb me out had to be used on the right side of my scar and because of the thick scar tissue they had to numb me up more than they usually do. Once ready I didn't feel much at all other than a pressure building feeling in my spine. The dye was put in to the sac around my spinal cord and I watched the monitor while they took photos of my upper lumbar spine, my L1-L2, L2-L3 and L3-L4. Then it was time to sit up and help the dye fall down my back so they could take images of my lower lumbar. My L4-L5, L5-L6 and L6-S1 are all fused together and I didn't realize before how much hardware was in my back. I couldn't tell much while the images were being taken but hopefully the doctor will be able to tell what it all means.
Then came the CT part of my visit. I walked down to the room with the large machine and had to lay down on my left side, then right, then sat up. As the dye swished like jello in my spine the pressure on the nerves gave me a very compressed, heavy sensation with little pain. The only pain I had was when I moved from my left side to my right side as the dye moved to the right side of my spine. The reason for all of this is so the dye spreads out so the images can be captured well during the CT scan. Finally I rested on my back with my legs propped up at the knee and they took the images of my back. The dye can also be described as the feeling of something like a lava lamp. You know how the liquid swishes inside when it is completely heated up? That is what it felt like in my back. That is why they want you to stay in one spot and not do much after you get home. If you lay on your side for to long you may get to much pressure in one spot and causes you discomfort and pain.
It took about a half an hour because there were no complications, it was very easy to get to my spine and do everything. I was a very good patient and made sure I was as still as possible while the images were taken. After everything was done I sat in the waiting room with Steve and then the xray tech brought out my xrays. Heavy packet of xrays and I am looking forward to looking at my spine.
I have been extremely lucky that I only had a feeling of heaviness, dizziness and being light headed while the dye was being put in. Then just some minor craps and pressure in my spine and legs afterward. I have been walking slow, taking my time and resting with my feet up and head rested up. So far no spinal headache and hopefully everything will continue to go well for me.
I won't know what everything means from the CT Myelogram until next Friday afternoon. Hopefully I'll get many answers to why I continue to have the discomfort, numbness and pain. Though I am fine with pain that is not awful as I have experienced that before for several ongoing months. I realize that I have written a lot of detailed information about the procedure today but I want you all to be informed on what new is happening with me. Know that I am doing well, staying off my feet for now and being taken care of.
No comments:
Post a Comment