Sunday, July 18, 2010

Three Years Ago I Saved My Life

Three years ago I saved my life! I decided that I would turn everything around to a new direction.

I was a bigger girl in my later childhood years and tipped the scale at 210 my senior year. I continued to gain weight through the years and found once I was disabled after my last back surgery, with my unhealthy diet and lack of exercise my waistline quickly grew.

It hasn't been easy and I've had many moments where the weight goes no where for many months. From mid January through the first of May this year I didn't lose one single pound for the most part. Only other time I had that happen to me was when I first began to lose weight.

Everything began with a change of diet for me. No more sugar filled food, or at first at least not as much. Then came to have less sodium and oily fatty foods. I lost a little weight my first six months in 2007 and the beginning of 2008 was very difficult for me but I dropped dress sizes like crazy at first. Going from a record size of 26/28 to now a size of 8/10 to 12/14. Depends on who makes it to what size I can fit in, however even my size 14's are baggy on me now.

I became a vegetarian in January 2008 and was still enjoying eggs for a month and enjoyed dairy for the next year and one month. Once I became vegan February 2009 the weight began to melt away as well as the dress sizes. I had no idea how much dairy can be fattening and not necessary for your body. I don't miss dairy at all, once in awhile I'll miss ice cream but then I remember how wonderful vegan ice cream is and I smile. :)

Not many people are willing to share their weight loss story or even admit their weight, less alone their age. I am proud of my accomplishments and can't believe that I only have 13 lbs before I reach my first weight loss goal.

I have put a lot of pressure on myself since the beginning of this year with my weight loss and the move wasn't easy, many emotional nights worried that we would lose our new house for good and never sell our condo. But now since everything worked out I can focus on my goal again and hope to achieve it by my deadline, which is by my 30th birthday, the first week of January. I know I have plenty of time to drop 38 pounds between now and then however to take off the worry if I don't make it, my new revised goal is to be able to drop the weight by my 30th year.

I hope that my story can help others see that anything is possible and if you set your mind to it, you can do it! It takes lots of patience, discipline, hard work, eating healthy and not stressing out when you don't drop a pound after all the hard work. Eventually with all the right steps you will achieve your goal.

Now you can see where I have come from and my progress so far. Here listed are the numbers of years where I have been a healthy weight, to overweight, to skinnier than I was than in high school. I've come a long way and so happy to be where I am today! :) I hope that my story will inspire you!


This is where I have come and my progress so far:

Weight: 165 pounds, Year 1996
I did not understand when I was younger why I continued to gain weight. I was very active and even though overweight, it looked good on me.

Weight: 210 pounds, Year 2000
When I met my husband I had gained over 40 pounds over the years.

Weight: 240 pounds, 03/23/2006
Had my first back surgery in 2003, and this was my weight before my second back surgery in 2006. I had continued to gain weight even though a lot more active. Was diagnosed with PCOS a year previous and finally understood why I have had so many problems with my weight and cycles.

Weight: 278 pounds, 08/25/2006
I went in for a knee surgery in August and found that I had gained a lot of weight in five months. I was taking three different medications, all with weight gain side effects. Also could not move well after surgery until about six months later. By that time I had gained more weight.

Weight: 295 pounds, 12/21/2006
This was my weight in December 2006. I have no idea how much heavier I got afterward because I never weighed myself until the summer that next year. I know that I did gain more weight but have no way of knowing because I did not weigh myself.

Weight: 285 pounds, August/September 2007
I had began to exercise more and eat healthier foods, like a salad every other day, which eventually was a salad every day. The weight loss was beginning to take effect and become noticeable.

Weight: 275 pounds, 01/30/2008
Been vegetarian for a month and adjusting to not eating meat. Had lost some weight but not that much since July 2007.

Weight: 243 pounds, 11/24/2008
Had had difficulty loosing weight and for several months did not drop any weight. Getting around better since surgery.

Weight: 239 pounds, 01/01/2009
Met my goal for the year 2008, which was to get to the weight in the 230's by the new year. Was easier dropping the pounds again. Cutting out more fatty foods and sugar.


Weight: 223.8 pounds, 04/04/2009
Went completely vegan February 1st and kept my goal of dropping one pound per week. I continued to loose weight and hoped to get under 200 pounds later in the year.

Weight: 223.2 pounds, 04/09/2009

Weight: 221.6 pounds, 04/13/2009

Weight: 221.2 pounds, 04/15/2009

Weight: 221.4 pounds, 04/20/2009

Weight: 222 pounds, 04/21/2009

Weight: 223 pounds, 04/28/2009

Weight: 221.8 pounds, 04/30/2009

Weight: 222.2 pounds, 05/01/2009

Weight: 221.6 pounds, 05/04/2009

Weight: 222.4 pounds, 05/12/2009

Weight: 219.8 pounds, 05/19/2009

Weight: 219.6 pounds, 05/21/2009

Weight: 218.4 pounds, 05/28/2009

Weight: 217 pounds, 06/08/2009

Weight: 216 pounds, 06/16/2009

Weight: 215.8 pounds, 06/22/2009



UPDATES:

Nine months ago: 201 pounds

Eight months ago: 198 pounds

Seven months ago: 189 pounds

Six months ago : 186 pounds

Three months ago: 186 pounds

Two months ago: 180 pounds

One month ago: 179 pounds

Last week: 178 pounds


I now am only 13 pounds away from my first goal and 38 pounds away from my overall goal. I realize now that these last 38 will be the most challenging. I've come a long way to get here and very happy I am! Best things I did for myself three years ago. I know now that I saved my life!

4 comments:

  1. I realize now that a few people don't believe I ever was a size 26/28. Perhaps instead of donating and giving away my old jeans I should have kept one of them just to show to the disbelievers, and a reminder to myself that I will never be the size again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps I will borrow the old jeans I gave to my mom just to show one of the sizes I used to be. I wonder if both my legs would fit in one leg yet? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. More thoughts, what I've already said but more on the subject...

    A few people don't believe I used to be the size I was at my heaviest. There was a small period of time that I was a size 26/28. (like a few months) I donated and gave away my clothing once I began to get into a smaller size but it makes me wonder now if I should have kept at least one set of jeans. At least I then could prove without a shadow of doubt that yes, indeed, I used to be that size. Looking back at it now it doesn't seem possible. Some people still don't believe the size that I am. Some think I'm bigger and a few think I look smaller than what I am right now. Then again, last time I purchased jeans that fit me perfectly.. well, not in a long time. Lucky for me last winter I got some Lee Jeans for free through being a fan on facebook. Those are the only ones that fit me great back then and they are a size 14! I can still wear them today but don't have to shimmy them on to get them up anymore. In fact all my size 14's are baggy on me now. I'm sure I'm smaller but don't feel like spending the money on something I may only be wearing for a few months. Once I'm at a steady weight and don't plan on losing anymore I'll buy an entire set of new tops, jeans, cute dresses and other nice stuff. Until then I'm just trying to deal with what I have while I have it, though much of it is beginning or already is to big on me. I realize some is supposed to fit baggy however it's all a matter of what you like and if you don't like how it looks on you, then you won't want to wear it. Soon I will ask my mom to loan me the old jeans I gave her, not the largest size I was. Believe this would be the size 22/24 jean shorts. Have no idea if I'll be able to step both legs into one leg hole, but would be kind of neat if I can. Unbelievable how much weight I've lost over the years but it's been no easy task.

    ReplyDelete
  4. UPDATE!!! I just found my old drivers license. This was my first after I was 16 and I was 18 when I got my new one. I know for a fact that I didn't update my weight when I renewed. In fact my current still has my old weight on it I believe. So.. here it is. I was 180 lbs when I was 16. Wow!!! I am now less weight than I was when I was 16! That is hard to believe! I am now officially smaller than I was in high school, ALL YEARS!

    ReplyDelete