Today my husband and I purchased a turkey, a whole turkey with bones and skin and other grossness that I don't even want to think about. We purchased this for the meat eating family members that will be coming over for Thanksgiving next week.
Everything inside me now says that I've done something wrong and that I'm a horrible person, I feel sick inside, I'm just terrible because I'm supporting an industry that kills these poor little baby turkeys while they are young, and by young I mean probably around six months of age. I don't care that the turkey package says that it wasn't given hormones, and ate a wonderful vegetarian diet and was able to be on a farm running freely. Everything I've read online that says that those turkeys are still subject to the same type of cruelty that factory farmed turkeys are subject to.
My compromise for the people who wanted turkey at our house this year was that it would be a boneless and skinless turkey and now it has everything! All I want to do is give it to the needy or take it back to the store and return it. I don't want that dead animal in my refrigerator yet the poor thing is just sitting there... waiting to be cooked and serves to hungry flesh eaters who will be coming over for Thanksgiving, as well as my husband who will eat some turkey.
I feel sick as a dog and don't even want to open my fridge. I want to clean it out top to bottom now, I want to never use another pot or pan or knife that touches that turkey. I just feel horrible about it!
I just wish that for once I could have what I've been asking for all these years, a 100% all Vegan Thanksgiving! I wish that I would have a vegetarian one this year but that's not bloody going to happen now! I am not happy in all the most strong ways of not being pleased or even mildly calm about this darn animal being in my fridge.
This is the one holiday where people, for some reason, feel that they should buy a whole dead turkey and cook it. Even though many times through the rest of the entire year they in fact, eat turkey. So saying that you only eat it once a year will not fly with me!
I am almost three full years meat free and believe you me, I don't miss it at all! I'm super healthy now, all my tests come back great like my protein, calcium, cholesterol.. all great! All because of a plant based diet! See people, eating this way isn't bad but is amazing for your body!
For goodness sake! Our teeth and mouths aren't even designed to eat the flesh of animals even though we do it. Our teeth are actually designed for eating plants, fruit, nuts... things of that nature. If we had teeth designed otherwise we'd probably have some fangs in there to help us rip through the flesh and chew better.
So in light of this upcoming Thanksgiving I feel like I am the minority even more so. I always am the majority of the year, but this is the time of year that I wish and want something, a meat free holiday season. How about this, don't buy me anything at all, just give me a vegan holiday, Thanksgiving and Christmas. After I'm gone you can break out the flesh and enjoy all the meat you can sink your teeth into.
No comments:
Post a Comment